Does your list of New Year resolutions include getting organized? You’re not alone, many choose to take this time to organize their lives and homes. However, like most resolutions, it’s easy to start off with a fierce determination but end up feeling discouraged after actually getting started.
Organizing an entire home can seem like a massive undertaking, but by taking it one room at a time, there’s less chance of being overwhelmed and you’ll eventually end up with a totally refreshed space! Check out some of our favorite universal rules and tactics broken up by room below.
Prep Your Rooms
Even though there are specific organizing hacks for each room, there are several universal preparation steps to follow that’ll make your life easier.
- Declutter – Take everything out of the space! You want a blank canvas before you begin organizing. Plus, this will also let you see what you’ve accumulated.
- Remove – Odds are if you didn’t know you had it, you probably don’t need it. Follow the golden rule and trash or donate anything you’re not actively using!
- Clean – The last thing you want is for your efforts to be in vain! Make sure you scrub the area before placing anything back.
- Group – While sorting, make sure to group similar items. This will help ensure a logical organizational flow.
- Label – Creating labels lets you know every item’s proper location and will help motivate you to maintain an organized area.
Arguably the busiest room in any home and therefore usually the messiest! Make this a functional space for your family and be sure to take advantage of the built-in space that most kitchens come with.
- Pantry – No matter what size your pantry is, there are plenty of ways to leverage this space. Some of our favorites include clear food containers, over the door storage units and labeled bins.
- Cabinets and Drawers – It’s easy to let the out of sight, out of mind mentality justify the clutter. To combat this, we recommend pull-out cabinets, vertical dividers for cooking materials and pop-up shelves.
Is your bathroom not spacious enough to contain your beauty routine? Here are a few of our best tips to maximize space.
- Counters – Avoid messy counters and create a tranquil space by investing in trays, glass containers and plastic organizers.
- Medicine Cabinet – Utilize this hidden, interior storage for all personal items!
- Shower – If your shower doesn’t come with built-in storage spaces, a hanging shower caddy can house all your shower necessities.
We can’t all have a luxurious closet like Carrie Bradshaw, but the key is to maximize the space you do have.
- Drawer Dividers – This functional product makes it easier to see what is in your drawers and helps give everything a proper home!
- Shoe Racks – Take advantage of vertical space! Stack your shoes on a dedicated rack or over-the-door hanger.
- Storage Containers – If you have ample seasonal clothing, this is a great option to store away off-season items.
Hopefully, these tips and tricks have inspired you to tackle one room at a time and have an organized oasis before you know it! If you’re looking to start your organizational journey in a new home, contact a PrimeLending home loan expert today.